Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,981 pages of information and 233,621 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 6 Victoria Street, London, SW1. Telephone: Abbey 5205-6. Cables: "Porplastic, Sowest, London"
1940 Dr S.A. Leader, a dental surgeon, was experimenting with the use of plastics in the medical and dental fields. His innovative ideas led him to set up a company, Portland Plastics, which rapidly developed and soon moved to larger premises in Folkestone, Dover and Hythe in Kent.
1947 British Industries Fair Advert for "Portex" Plastic Skin Modern Surgical Dressing. Also Manufacturers of Dental Acrylics, Medical Appliances, Surgical Drainage, Surgical, Anaesthetic and Commercial Tubing, Plastic Artificial Eyes, Plastic Teeth, Feeding Bottle Teats, Universal Cement, Plastic Mouldings and Extrusions, Plastic Fancy Articles. Trade Marks "Portex" and "Portex Ray". (Plastics Section - Earls Court, 1st Floor, Stand No. 837) 
1957 Portland Plastics was acquired by Smiths Industries which was interested in Portland’s expertise in plastic and nylon tubing to support their aerospace and automotive activities.
1964-77 Portland Plastics moved into purpose-built premises in Hythe, Kent
1967 Name changed Portex.