Premier Cycle Co: Motorcycles
Note: This is a sub:section of Premier Cycle Co
Premier motorcycles were produced from 1908 to 1920 in Coventry.
1908 The first Premier motorcycle was produced, with a White and Poppe side valve engine and Chater-Lea front forks.
1909 By now they were building their own version of the engine and their own design of forks replaced the original Chater-Lea. They took an injunction against Premier Motor Co over the use of the name Premo
1909 The company made their first V-twin.
1910 Company made a 499cc single cylinder machine.
1910 The single was joined by a 3.75hp V-twin that had horizontal cooling fins and a crankshaft that allowed both pistons to move together despite its angle. Late in the year, a completely new 3.75hp V-twin engine was announced, and this had cylinders set at 45 degrees and kept the horizontal cooling fins. A two-speed gear was available.
1911 A 2hp lightweight model joined the range. It had its engine mounted inclined in a loop frame above the pedals. It had a rear-mounted Bosch magneto, belt drive and Druid forks. Later, a 2.5hp single was added.
1912 Premier Cycle Co listed at Hertford St. and Lincoln St (Tel. 796), Read St (Tel. 514), Coventry and as manufacturers of motorcycles.
1912 The range now included a 3.5hp ladies' model with open frame.
1913 They produced a 499cc side-valve 3-speed machine, and brought in a two-speed gearbox and Druid forks for the 3.5hp single. In came a new V-twin with increased power and out went the 2hp model.
1914 A new model was announced, but few were built. It had a 2.75hp in-line, twin-cylinder, two-stroke, over-square engine of 322cc, mounted in a duplex frame.
1914 The company produced a range of motorcycles
1915-1916 The range was still listed.
After the First World War the company did not resume production of motorcycles
Post-WWI. The company concentrated on a three-wheel Runabout.
Premier motorcycles continued to be produced under licence in Czechoslovakia throughout the 1930s.
Sources of Information