Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,124 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Note: This is a sub-section of R. and W. Hawthorn
Another locomotive with vertical cylinders was the Swift built for the Stockton and Darlington Railway in 1836, by R. and W. Hawthorn. It was of the 0-4-0 type with 4ft wheels. The cylinders were placed at the sides of the boiler and had a direct drive on to an intermediate "dummy" crank shaft carries across the engine under the boiler. The wheel and shaft arrangement was similar in principle of that of Galloway's Liverpool and Manchester engine of 1832, but the latter had a considerably longer wheel base and inverted instead of direct drive from the cylinders, the Swift also differed in having inside frames and an outside platform, which helped to support the cylinders.
It was in use for many years, and drew passenger trains of five coaches, weighing about five tons each. It had a boiler very like the first boiler of the Locomotion No. 1, that is, it had a single flue- in one end of which was the fire grate-straight through to the smoke-box. The valve motion was of the gab type, with loose eccentrics, and the reversing lever shown was really double, two levers working side by side, to throw each engine into gear separately. The chimney was fitted with a revolving cowl, which could be turned round to suit the direction taken by the wind.