Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,394 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Consisted of lines in the district of Agra and a branch line to Delhi; the line was built from Agra-Ajmer where it joined the Western Rajputana State Railway.
1871 Furnivall was in charge of the Agra District and Major Frederick Smith Stanton was in charge of the Delhi district.
1871 the Government decided to construct a metre-gauge railway in Rajputana, to facilitate the supply of salt from the Great Salt Lake at Sambhar to the North-West Provinces. Captain Frederick Smith Stanton was put in charge as Superintending Engineer of one portion of the railway from Delhi to Rewari and Bandakui, with a branch to Farakhnagar.
1873 The railway consisted of 59 operating miles in the Delhi district; 33 miles in the Agra district.
1873 February 15th. The first metre gauge line on Indian soil, Delhi to Rewari and Farukhnagar Salt bench, was opened under the title of Rajputana Railway.
1875 August 1st. The line was extended to Ajmer. In total, 379 miles of line.
By the end of 1879 the Rajputana had 462 operating miles.
After a short pause, the work on the Ajmer-Ahmedabad line (Western Rajputana State Railway) was started
1884 Became known as the Rajputana-Malwa Railway