Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,935 pages of information and 230,152 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Regent's Canal Ironworks of Eagle Wharf Road, Hackney, London
1850 Legal Notice against any infringements of the patent for Guerin's Steering Apparatus. Mentions Messrs H. and M. D. Grissell as sole patentees and manufacturers and of the Regent's Canal Iron Works.
1858 H. & D. Grissell, Regent's Canal Iron Works, Hoxton, made a cast iron lighthouse for the Island of Seskar (Russia) 
1858 Partnership dissolved. '...the Partnership lately existing between us the undersigned, Henry Grissell and Martin De La Garde Grissell, of the Regent's Canal Iron Works, Eagle Wharf-road, in the county of Middlesex, Engineers, Ironfounders, and Contractors, has been this day dissolved by mutual consent. All debts due and owing to the firm, are to be paid to the said Henry Grissell who continues the business...'
1868 Engineering presented an illustration and description of an unusal combined planing and slotting machine made for H. Grissell at Regent's Canal Ironworks. The late John Glasgow of Manchester was credited as the designer and constructor.. However, the following week's issue of the journal included a letter from W. Collier and Co of Salford wrote stating that they made the machine.
1874 Company in liquidation and the sale of assets. '...instructed by the Liquidators of the Regents Canal Iron Works Company Limited to sell by auction, at the Auction Mart, Tokenhouse-yard, on Wednesday, July 22nd, 1874, at one o'clock precisely, in three lots, valuable and important leasehold property for investment, producing an improved rental of £616 per annum, well-secured:—
Lot 1. An improved rental of £326 per annum, arising from extensive manufacturing premises, situate in Eagle Wharf-road, having a wharfed frontage of 174 feet 9 inches next the Regent's Canal, and occupying an area of 49,355 feet, together with the substantially erected machine shops and factories, dwelling-house, board-room, and offices, let upon lease to the Henry Rifled Barrel Company Limited, in consideration of a premium of £3,500 paid by them for the whole term for which the property is held, less 10 days, at the very low rent of £500 per annum, and held by a separate lease from the freehold for a term, whereof 61 years were unexpired at Midsummer, 1874, at a ground rent of £170 per annum. The large premium paid for the lease, and the outlay made by the lessees since the lease was granted, render the rental as well secured,as an improved ground rent.
Lot 2. An improved rental of £230 per annum, arising from large manufacturing premises adjoining Lot 1, having a wharfed frontage of 121 feet next the Regents Canal, and occupying an area of 17,545 feet. The buildings comprise engineer's works, arranged as turnery, erecting and smith's shops, engine and boiler-house, chimney shaft, pattern store and office; let upon lease for the whole term for which the property is held to Mr. Legg, a highly respectable tenant, at a rental of £300 per annum, and held under a separate lease from the freeholder for a term, whereof 61 years.were unexpired at Midsummer, 1874, at a ground rent of £10 per annum. The lessee has made a large outlay in improvements.
Lot 3. An improved rental of £60 per annum, arising from a wharf and dwelling-house, stable, and coachhouse, situate in Eagle Wharf road, let upon lease for the whole term for which the property is held, less 10 days, to a highly respectable tenant, at a rental of £80 per annum, and held on lease for a term whereof 30 years were unexpired at Midsummer, 1874, at a ground rent of £20 per annum....'