Rendel and Beardmore
Beardmore was Rendel’s first pupil. He was employed on the surveys of the Exeter and Plymouth Railway, of the new road to Kingsbridge, and of the floating bridge across the Itchen, at Southampton, as well as upon the drawings of the proposed suspension bridges at Clifton and at Montrose, and the Government works in Plymouth Sound and Devonport.
1838 Mr. Beardmore took an office in London, and was employed by Mr. Rendel on the Parliamentary surveys for a proposed railway between Exeter and Plymouth across Dartmoor.
Subsequently they formed a partnership.
Their works in the vicinity of Plymouth included the improvement of the Devonport Water Company’s service reservoirs and distributing mains, for the supply of water to the town, the dockyard, and the public departments; the construction of the Millbay Pier, in a small tidal basin at the top of Millbay, Plymouth; the preliminary surveys for the South Devon railway, and marine and river in works for public companies, the Admiralty, and other Government departments.
1838 Rendel moved to London; Beardmore remained in charge of the office at Plymouth
1843 Beardmore moved to London
1848 Partnership dissolved. '...Engineers, and carried on at No. 8, Great George-street, Westminster, in the county of Middlesex, was dissolved, by mutual consent, as from the 31st day of December last. As witness our hands this llth day of February 1848. Jos. M. Rendel. Nathl. Beardmore.'
c.1856 George Robertson entered the practice
1856 Alexander Meadows Rendel succeeded his father in the business.