Royal Aircraft Establishment
Variously known as:-
- School of Ballooning ( -1908)
- H. M. Balloon Factory (1908-11)
- H. M. Aircraft Factory (1911-12)
- Royal Aircraft Factory (1912-18)
- Royal Aircraft Establishment (1918-88)
- Royal Aerospace Establishment (1988- )
1924 Catapult and cable arrestors were developed at Farnborough for carrier use.
1946 work began to convert RAF Thurleigh into R.A.E. Bedford.
1988 renamed the Royal Aerospace Establishment.