Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 144,323 pages of information and 230,176 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1848 The Central School of Mathematics and Naval Construction was founded by the Admiralty at Portsmouth Dockyard; it was the second School of Naval Architecture in Britain. It closed in 1853.
1864 The Royal School of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering was the third school of naval architecture, established in 1864
1867 The school premises were built on land off Exhibition Road, South Kensington and opened this year.
1872 Seventh annual dinner held; C. W. Merrifield, F.R.S., was the Principal; J. H. Cotterill, M.P., was Vice Principal of the School; Dr. Woolley, Director of Education to the Admiralty, was Inspector-General of the School.
1873 the School moved to the Royal Naval College, Greenwich
1967 The School moved to University College London.