Rudge Cycle Co
Rudge Cycle Co, of Coventry and other places.
1887 A public company Rudge Cycle Co was launched to acquire as a going concern Rudge and Co of Coventry, London, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle-on-Tyne, Leeds, Edinburgh, Canterbury, Dublin and Paris. It was claimed to be "the principal manufacturing company in the world for cycles of every description". The business had been formed some years ago by the amalgamation of Messrs Rudge, Messrs Haynes and Jefferis and Tangent no. 2 Works. George Woodcock was to retire from active management of the company. Harry Lawson would continue as sales manager and Walter Philips as works manager.
1887 The Rudge cross-frame safety was patented and sold as the Rocket.
1888 February. Stanley Exhibition of Cycles in Westminster. Military cycle. 
1888 The Triplet Tandem Quadricycle Direct Steering Roadster was first produced .
1889 Jan/Feb. Stanley Exhibition. Exhibited for-wheel and two-rider model. 
By 1889 the company was making safety bicycles with diamond pattern frames but with halved tubes for lightness named the Bicyclette. The company produced the Déesse brand for sale in France.
1890 Jan/Feb. The Stanley Exhibition of Cycles at the Crystal Palace. Bicycle illustrated (Rudge and Co). 
A Parcels Carrier and Parcels Express were made before 1892 as well as the Roadsculler and Triplet.
1892 The Coventry Rotary continued in production until 1892 .
1893 For many years all Marriott and Cooper machines had been made for them by Rudge Cycle Co, of which Walter Phillips was manager. In April, 1893, Phillips left the Rudge Co. and joined Humber, taking with him the Marriott and Cooper connection.
Sources of Information
- Rudge Motorcycle History