Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,095 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Rustat Blake (c1871-1940)
1940 Obituary 
RUSTAT BLAKE, who was elected a Member of the Institution in 1911, was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers. He was educated at Haileybury and Pembroke College, Cambridge, where he graduated B.A. in 1892. He then went as pupil with Messrs. James Simpson and Company of Grosvenor Road, Pimlico, and with Messrs. J. Wolfe Barry and H. M. Brunel. For the most part Mr. Blake's professional career was devoted to railways; he was in charge of the working survey of the southern section of the Callander and Oban Railway's extension from Conmel and assistant resident engineer on the construction of the widening of the Metropolitan Railway between St. John's Wood Road and Harrow, and the extension from Ealing to Harrow.
In 1902 he was appointed Chief Assistant to Sir John Wolfe Barry and Partners, where he supervised the preparation of the plans and sections for the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway from South to West Kensington, and the widening of the District Railway from West Kensington to Hammersmith. During the period 1915-18 he was engaged as chief inspection officer for the Department of Explosives Supply, Ministry of Munitions, especially in connection with the equipment of high-explosives factories. Mr. Blake became a partner with Sir J. Wolfe Barry and Partners in 1918 and held this appointment until 1922, when he joined Sir Alexander Gibb and Partners in a similar capacity.
He died on 14th April 1940 in his sixty-ninth year.
1940 Obituary