Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,485 pages of information and 233,925 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Ruston Gas Turbines

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

of Ruston House, Lincoln

1946 Ruston and Hornsby established a gas turbine department

1950 Gas turbine generator demonstrated to the press

1952 The TA gas turbine went into production; the first unit was sold to an oil company for use in the Middle East

1953 Used a gas turbine to provide power for an exhibition at Olympia.

1956 Ruston and Hornsby began batch production of gas turbines, delivering one every 2 weeks, with half of the production going abroad. The engines could use a variety of fuels and, although slightly more expensive than a diesel engine, offered a number of other benefits. An order had just been received to deliver one to the Admiralty for trial as an auxiliary power supply in a cruiser[1]

1966 English Electric Co acquired Ruston and Hornsby

1969 At a meeting held at Vulcan Works, Newton-le-Willows, T. P. Spares Ltd changed its name to Ruston Gas Turbines Ltd[2], a subsidiary of the English Electric Co which was owned by GEC

By 1986 2,300 Ruston gas turbines had been installed in 66 countries; their power ratings ranged from 1,875 to 66,000 bhp[3]

1991 Ruston Gas Turbines Ltd changed its name to European Gas Turbines Ltd

1998 European Gas Turbines changed its name to Alstom Gas Turbines Ltd

1999 Alstom Gas Turbines Ltd changed its name to ABB Alstom Power UK Ltd

2000 ABB Alstom Power UK Ltd changed its name to Alstom Power UK Ltd

2002 Alstom Power UK Ltd changed its name to Alstom Power UK Holdings Ltd

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Times May 9, 1956
  2. Companies House filing
  3. The Times June 26, 1986