Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,105 pages of information and 231,598 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Manufacturer of traction and stationary engines, diesel engines, gas turbines, of the Sheaf Iron Works, Lincoln. Telephone: Lincoln 580. Telegraphic Address: "Ruston, Lincoln". (1937)
See also -
1919 October. Prospectus. Directors are:
After World War I they attempted to diversify and one outcome was the Ruston-Hornsby car. Two versions were made, a 15.9 hp with a Dorman 2,614 cc engine and a larger 20hp model with 3308 cc engine of their own manufacture. The cars were expensive and never reached the hoped for production volumes. About 1500 were made between 1919 and 1924.
Introduced the IP (Industrial Paraffin) engine
Post WWI. Built the Wallis Tractor Co tractor under licence
1920 Extensive exhibition of single-cylinder and compound traction engines, steam tractor, compound road roller, portable steam engines, thrashing machines, binders, baling press, centrifugal pumps, a cold starting oil engine of 32 bhp, petrol-paraffin lamp-less engines from 3-9 bhp and various other internal combustion engines were shown at the Darlington Agricultural Show.
1920 November. Exhibited at the Motor Car Show at Olympia and the White City with a 20-25 hp four-cylinder engine (in addition to the already well known 16-20 hp model).
1921 Introduced the AP (Agricultural Paraffin) engine.
1924 After March 31st 1924 their London address changed from 46 Queen-street E.C. 4 to Imperial House, 15-17-19, Kingsway, London, W.C.2.
1927 Engine type 6H. 25 hp. Exhibit at Anson Engine Museum.
1930 The Bucyrus-Erie company of the USA joined with Ruston and Hornsby Ltd, the leading British maker of excavators to form Ruston-Bucyrus Ltd., in which Ruston and Hornsby owned 50 percent of the shares.
1931 Oil engine. Exhibit at Bradford Industrial Museum.
1931 Ruston and Hornsby was a major producer of small and medium diesel engines for land and marine applications. It began to build diesel locomotives in 1931 (and continued up until 1967). It was a pioneer and major developer in the industrial application of small (up to 10,000kW) heavy duty gas turbines from the 1950s onwards.
1933 Horizontal Oil Engine. Type 6XHRE. 36 hp. Exhibit at Anson Engine Museum.
1936 Built last steam engine.
1937 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Patented Horizontal "Thermax" Boiler, 7ft. (2.13m) diameter, Patented Vertical "Thermax" Boiler, 3ft. (0.91m) diameter, 120lb. (54.4kg) pressure, Vertical Boiler, 2ft. (0.61m) diameter, 80lb. (36.3kg) pressure. Three Air Receivers. Specimens and photographs of Welded Work. (Stand No. D.318)
1940 The company merged with Davey, Paxman and Co of Colchester.
1944 Advert for oil engines.
1946 Gas turbine department established
1950 Gas turbine generator demonstrated to the press
1952 The TA gas turbine went into production; the first unit was sold to an oil company for use in the Middle East
1953 Used a gas turbine to provide power for an exhibition at Olympia.
1961 Manufacturers of gas, oil, diesel and marine engines, gas turbines, diesel locomotives, boilers, steel tanks and vessels, pumps and pumping plants, rotary industrial filters and chemical plant. 8,340 employees.
1963 The company closed its Grantham factory.
1968 The company became part of the General Electric Company (GEC).
1970 Ruston Paxman Diesels produced diesel engines at the Vulcan Foundry in Newton-le-Willows, which operation had been moved from Lincoln. Output was mainly for marine and stationary applications, but the company was the engine supplier of choice for British Rail Engineering for locos built at Doncaster and Crewe.
1989 Part of GEC-Alsthom.
1998 Part of Alstom.
2000 Ruston Diesels was taken over by MAN B and W Diesel AG on June 12th.