Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,717 pages of information and 232,164 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Wear Dock Yard, Sunderland
1861 Employing 60 men 
1869 The last wooden ship was built by the yard.
1870 Repairs were made to iron vessels up to 300 feet in length.
1871 The yard expanded and started its acquisition of all of the surrounding land.
1874 The yard made its first iron ship.
1881 Employing 396 men and 54 boys 
1896 Incorporated as a Private Limited Company.
1899 Re-registered as a public company. The company was registered on 25 September, to acquire the shipbuilding and ship repairing business of a company of the same name. 
1904 Austin’s was famous for its pontoon, which opened in 1904. The pontoon was a platform that could be sunk below a ship, then re-floated to raise the ship out of the water.
1914 Directory: Listed as Iron Ship Builders of Bishopwearmouth panns, Sunderland. 
WWI Output during the War was 13 colliers of 28,979 tons along with five small naval craft. One of these vessels, Icemaid became the prototype for war standard colliers of that size during World War II.
1914 Shipbuilders, Ship Engine and Boiler Repairers. Specialities: building steamers for cargo carrying purposes, chiefly vessels adapted for the coal trade. Employees 800. 
1932 Only two colliers were made due to the Depression.
1956 The yard closed.