Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,056 pages of information and 231,597 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1927 - On May 6th the new Blue Star liner Avelona- a sister vessel to the recently completed Avila, which was also built and engined by John Brown and Co., Ltd., at Clydebank- ran successful speed trials in the Firth of Clyde. Although contract conditions called for a speed of 16 knots, the mean speed over the measured mile at Skelmorlie worked out at 17.14 knots, or a very full knot over the contract speed.
The Avelona was similar in design to the Cammell Laird built Almeda. She had a length of 510ft., with a measurement of 14,000 gross tons, and was propelled by Parsons type, twin-screw, single-reduction geared turbines, designed for a total output of 7600 S.H.P., and constructed by the builders of the ship. Refrigerating machinery and insulated hold space was provided tor the carrying of some 4000 tons of chilled meat in the company's South American service. Unusually fine accommodation for 180 first-class passengers was provided, and a special feature of the ship was to be found in the decoration of the public rooms, which were supervised by Sir Charles Allom.