Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,177 pages of information and 233,417 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of East Hull
The site was opened in May 1914 when the North Eastern Railway built jetties connected to its railway system 1 mile (1.6 km) east of King George Dock. The first ship to dock there was carrying 3,000 imperial gallons (14,000 l; 3,600 US gal) of benzene and thereafter, oil came to be imported at the site with the Asiatic Petroleum Company (Shell) and the Anglo Mexican Company (Shell Mex) with BP joining the site in 1921.