Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,143 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Samuel Lees (1831-1907) of H. Lees and Sons
1907 Obituary 
SAMUEL LEES was born at Ashton-under-Lyne on 13th December 1831.
On leaving school he entered his father's works, namely, the Park Bridge Iron Works, near his native town, and was an active member of the firm until shortly before his death.
The firm was founded by his grandfather in 1783 as iron manufacturers, roller makers, and millwrights, and at his death the business was carried on by his widow under the title of Hannah Lees and Sons.
Mr. Samuel Lees became head of the firm when his father died in 1873, and turned it into a private company in 1885, under the name of H. Lees and Sons, Ld., of which he was chairman.
His death took place at his residence at Park Bridge, Ashton-under-Lyne, on 5th October 1907, in his seventy-sixth year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1863.
1907 Obituary 
SAMUEL LEES died at his residence, Park Bridge, Ashton-under-Lyme, on October 5, 1907, at the age of seventy-six. He was head of the firm of H. Lees & Sons (Park Bridge Ironworks), which was founded some one hundred years ago.
He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1889, and was a member of the Reception Committee at the Manchester meeting in 1899.