Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,969 pages of information and 233,612 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Samuel Marsden and Son of Altrincham St, London Road, Manchester.
The 1915/1922 O.S. map shows the 'Manchester Nut & Bolt Works' bounded by the curving River Medlock, by Lower Albion Street, and by Altrincham Street (running immediately alongside the railway viaduct) 
1845 Company established by Samuel Marsden
1850 Samuel Marsden listed as a screw bolt manufacturer at 8, Zara Street, Manchester in Slater's Directory of Manchester & Salford, 1850. Zara Street was later renamed Sackville Street. Marsden's premises were on the west side of the street, while on the opposite side was a canal wharf, behind which was the works of Joseph Whitworth and Co. Business neighbours of Marsden's included Peter Sutton & Brothers (spindle makers) at No. 10 and Joseph Sires (tinplate worker) at No. 2 Zara St. The 1849 O.S. map shows no buildings on the west side of the street at that time.
1879 Listed in Slater's Directory of Manchester & Salford, 1879, Part 1: Located at Manchester Screw Bolt Works, Altrincham Street, London Road. Home address of Benjamin Marsden (screw bolt maker) given as 'Westleigh', Heaton Mersey.
1898 Incorporated as a Limited Company. The company was registered on 26 November, to take over the business of bolt and nut manufacturers of a private company of the same name. 
1913 Advert. Manufacturers of black and bright bolts, studs and nuts etc. 
1914 Manufacturers of Black and Bright Bolts, Nuts and Studs etc. Employees 400. 
1917 Advert. Manufacturers of black and bright bolts, studs and nuts etc. 
1919 Advert. Manufacturers of black and bright bolts, studs and nuts etc. 
1937 Manufacturers and suppliers in Great Britain. Bolt and nut manufacturers. 
1960 A photograph shows that the grim-looking factory had two distinct aspects: a multi-storey mill-type building adjacent to Altrincham Street, presumably containing the machine tools, and a lower group of buildings with chimneys and ventilated roofs, suggesting that forging of hot metal went on in there.