Samuel Thomas Cooper
Samuel Thomas Cooper (1831-1871)
1853 of Leeds Forge Co
1872 Obituary 
MR. SAMUEL THOMAS COOPER, the elder son of Mr. Cooper, of Worsborough Hall, near Barnsley, and of the firm of Messrs. Cooper, Field, and Hood, the founders of the Leeds Iron Works, Leeds, was born at Worsborough in June, 1831.
He commenced his business career at an early age in connection with the Leeds Iron Works, of which he subsequently became the principal partner, and in that capacity was doubtless known to many members of the Institution.
After having taken an active part in the management of the concern for nearly twenty years, in 1865 he retired, though still retaining his interest in the firm, to a property he had purchased - Bulwell Hall, Nottinghamshire - where he afterwards principally resided, and where he died suddenly from an attack of apoplexy, on the 10th of February, 1871.
He was also a partner in the Worsborough Cold Blast Iron Company and the Silkstone and Worsborough Collieries near Barnsley, and was an active magistrate for the county of Notts.
He was a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, and hospitably entertained the members at his residence on the occasion of their visit to Nottingham in 1870. He was elected an Associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers on the 21st of May, 1867.
1872 Obituary 
SAMUEL THOMAS COOPER was born in June 1831 at Worsbrough Hall near Barnsley, his father being the principal partner in the firm of Messrs. Cooper Field and Hood, the founders of the Leeds Iron Works, Leeds.
He commenced his business career at an early age in connection with these works, of which he subsequently became the principal partner.
After having taken an active part in the management for nearly twenty years, he went in 1865 to reside at Bidwell Hall near Nottingham, still retaining his interest in the firm.
His death occurred suddenly from an attack of apoplexy on 10th February 1871 in the fortieth year of his age.
He was also a partner in the Worsbrough Cold-Blast Iron Works, and in the Silkstone and Worsbrough Collieries near Barnsley; and was a magistrate for the county of Nottingham.
He became a Member of the Institution in 1853.