Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,369 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Sandown, Isle of Wight
Plans for the pier were drawn up in the 1860s and bill passed in Parliament in 1864.
1876 Construction commenced. The first section of the pier measured 360 feet (110 m) and it was opened on 29 May 1878 by Lady Oglander widow of Sir Henry Oglander, 7th Baronet.
1894 Work to extend the pier to its full intended length were started. The new works were badly damaged in a storm on 12 January 1895.
On 17 September 1895 the pier reopened following modifications which lengthened it by 545 feet (166 m) giving it a total length overall of 870 feet (270 m). The breadth of the deck was 24 feet (7.3 m) and the head of the pier had an area 107 feet (33 m) by 93 feet (28 m). A landing stage was provided to allow passengers to arrive and depart by steamer. A pavilion to accommodate 400 people was constructed on the head of the pier with an elliptical dome. These works of improvement cost around £10,800 (equivalent to £1,256,700 in 2019).
1918 The pier was taken over the Sandown Urban District Council.
1934 The pavilion at the shore end of the pier was opened by John Jellicoe, 1st Earl Jellicoe. It had cost £26,000 (equivalent to £1,655,900 in 2019).
In August 1989 a fire broke out in the amusement arcade and spread into the theatre causing damage estimated at £2,000,000. However, restoration was undertaken and the pier was reopened for the 1990 summer season.