Scottish Iron and Steel Co
Scottish Iron and Steel Co Ltd. of 105 St. Vincent Street, Glasgow; of 53 Bothwell Street, Glasgow.
- Archibald Baird and Son Ltd
- Downs and Jardine
- Thomas Ellis Ltd
- Glencairn Iron and Steel Co Ltd
- C. F. MacLaren and Co
- Hugh Martin and Sons
- A. and T. Miller
- John Spencer (Coatbridge) Ltd
- William Tudhope and Son Ltd
- Victoria Iron and Steel Co Ltd
- Waverley Iron and Steel Co Ltd
- Wylie and Co
- Woodside Steel and Iron Co Ltd
WWI During the First World War the Scottish Iron and Steel Co, supported by the Ministry of Munitions, set out to build its own steelworks. Construction started in 1916 but production did not begin until after the war.
1914 Iron and steel manufacturers. Specialities: iron and steel bars, angles, tees, hoops, strips etc. Employees 4,000 to 5,000. 
1938 William Baird and Co Ltd was reconstituted; the company’s Lanarkshire interests were merged with the Scottish Iron and Steel Co Ltd of Glasgow to form Bairds and Scottish Steel Ltd, pig iron and steel manufacturers.
William Baird and Co declined the chance to buy the works back on denationalisation and, when the Iron and Steel Investments consortium bought it in 1963, the old Baird management withdrew. It was no longer viable and the new owners closed it in 1967.
Sources of Information
- The Times, Jul 01, 1912
- 1914 Whitakers Red Book
- Based on The Bairds of Gartsherrie by Robert D. Corrins 
- Hansard 19 February 1951
- The Times, 17 January 1963