Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,470 pages of information and 233,895 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1814 'SEATON IRON WORKS, near Workington, Cumberland.
TO be SOLD, by Auction, (if not in the mean time sold off by Private Contract on the 16th day of November, 1814, at the House of Henry Salkeld, in Workington, Cumberland,
All these valuable Works, called SEATON IRON WORKS.—These Works are to be disposed of in Consequence of the Majority of the present Partners Living at a considerable distance from the same, and being Desirous of retiring from Business.—They are well worth the Attention of Iron Masters, being most eligibly situated on the River Derwent, which affords a copious supply of Water for every purpose, a short Mile from the Port of Workington, to which there is a Rail-road, and from whence they have an extensive trade to Ireland, where their Manufacture is in the greatest Estimation.
The Ground upon which the Work stands about Thirteen Acres, exclusive of the Canal communicating with the River Derwent for conveying the Water. They confist of a BLAST FURNACE, capable, making 30 or 40 Tons of Pig Iron per Week, substantially rebuilt in the Year 1813, a large FOUNDRY or MOULDING HOUSE, a DOUBLE FORGE, with SLITTING and ROLLING MILL, and every other Convenience necessary for carrying on the Concern in the most extensive Manner to which is attached Warehouses, Stabling for 25 Horses, a commodious House and Garden for the Manager, Foremen's Dwelling Houses, and Cottages for Workmen. The Whole in a complete State of Repair, built with Stone and brick, and Slated.
Coals suitable for the Establishment may be had in Abundance in the neighbourhood. The present Proprietors occupy a Colliery, which the Purchaser may probably agree for with the Owner. Iron Stone is also plentiful within Two Miles of the Premises, and Iron Ore may be imported from Lancashire with Facility.
These Works are held on Lease under the Earl of Lonsdale for the Term of 99 Years from the 25th of March, 1762, on an Annual Ground Rent of 40l payable Half-yearly. Possession may be had on the 17th of April or sooner if the Parties can agree.
Printed Particulars, on Application, may be had after the 1st of August, of Mr, Dickinson, the Managing Partner the Works ; at the Company’s Warehouse, in Roper-street, Whitehaven ; Mr. B. Thompson, Solicitor, Workington, and at the following Places:- Mr. James Dickinson’s, No. 165 Aldersgate-street, London: Smith's Saloon, Hunter’s Square, Edinburgh ; of Mr. Josiah Willson , No. 1 Usher's-street, Dublin ; Messrs. Martin and Scholefield, Solicitors, Hull; and Mr. Robert Russell, Queen’s Dock, Liverpool.
N. B. The Proprietors wish it to be understood that the Foundry Business will carried on, and Coals and Coke sold at the Works, and at Cammerton Colliery, as usual, until the whole be disposed of.'