Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,754 pages of information and 232,400 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1836 Plans were prepared to improve the river Severn which was in a neglected state of occupied his attention. This resulted in the formation of the Severn Navigation Company. Thomas Rhodes, M. Inst. C.E., was appointed consulting engineer, and Mr. E. L. Williams the resident engineer.
Detailed surveys and plans were then made.
1837 A Bill was deposited in Parliament but it was thrown out on the second reading.
1837 The company had abandoned its plans to deepen the Severn up to Worcester to 12 feet and had formed a new company to cut a new channel to Worcester with depth of 6ft 6 inches and a further channel of 6ft to Stourbridge
1838 the plans were modified and re-introduced into Parliament but had to be withdrawn.
It was decided to abandon the idea of a Severn Navigation Company
1842 An Act was passed giving power to Commissioners to improve the river and to levy tolls. Locks and weirs were constructed between Stourport and Worcester, with dredging and embanking operations between Worcester and Gloucester.
1858 A lock and weir had been built at Worcester as the first part of the planned improvements of the Severn Navigation Commissioners. Work then began on improving the Severn at Tewkesbury following the plans of Mr E. L. Williams. The water level from Tewkesbury to Worcester would be raised by building a double lock and weir at Tewkesbury, so as to allow small coasters to reach Worcester .