Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,101 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
This was built in 1836 as a cotton mill for Peter Dixon. The architect was Richard Tattersall of from Manchester. Seven storeys, sandstone walls. The mill was 'fireproof', with iron framework supplied by William Fairbairn and Sons.
It was claimed to be the largest cotton mill in England, measuring 224 ft by 58 ft wide, and 83 ft high.
In 1883 Peter Dixon and Sons Ltd. went into liquidation and the mill was taken over by Robert Todd and Sons Ltd., who then used the mill for wool production rather than cotton.
Dixon's Chimney was restored by Carlisle City Council in 1999. Originally it was 305 ft tall, but in 1950 it was reduced to 290 ft.
In 2005 part of the mill was converted into apartments, and another part is used by the University of Cumbria.
The above information is condensed from the Wikipedia entry (accessed 11/6/19).
1835 Foundation stone laid on 13 February. The contractors were Nixson and Denton.