Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,181 pages of information and 233,421 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Sheffield Canal (or Sheffield and Tinsley Canal) in the City of Sheffield is 3.9 miles long and runs from Tinsley (River Don) to the Sheffield Canal Basin (Victoria Quays) in the city centre. It originally had 12 locks but now has 11.
1815 the Sheffield Canal Company was formed by Act of Parliament in order to construct a canal
1819 Canal opened on 22 February. Wagonways brought coal from the many local collieries to the canal for onward shipment.
By 1840 "Fly-boat" services connected to a range of services for long distance shipment.
1846 the Sheffield and Lincolnshire Junction Railway acquired the canal company.
1940 The canal was still in use and when Lock 6 was damaged by bombing it was repaired
1961 Waterhead altered to Rotherham
c.1970 Last commercial cargo
1980 A commercial cargo traversed the canal
1990s Canal basin restored