Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,106 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Silverwood Colliery was owned by Dalton Main Collieries and was originally called Dalton Main. It was renamed after the local woodland where it was situated, between Thrybergh and Ravenfield, in Yorkshire, England, although it could easily have been called Gulling Wood.
The railway, from Roundwood Colliery, also owned by Dalton Main Collieries, became known as John Brown's Private Railway after the company which became sole owners of the Dalton Main Collieries from 1909. There was also a line which ran from Silverwood, round past Ravenfield, and down to join the existing line just north of Anston.
The colliery closed in 1992 with remaining reserves being worked from nearby Maltby Main Colliery. A large coal washing and reclamation project continued.