Slaughter, Gruning and Co
1856 Stothert, Slaughter and Co, of Avonside ironworks, St. Phillips , became Slaughter, Gruning and Company when Henry Gruning joined the business; Henry Stothert concentrated on the shipbuilding side.
1860 March. Robert Stephen Cuthbertson retired from the partnership leaving Edward Slaughter, Henry Stothert, John Stothert, John Stevens and Henry Gruning of the Avonside Iron Works, Locomotive Engine Manufacturers, Ironfounders, and Makers of Machinery trading as Slaughter, Gruning and Co. 
1860 Dissolution of the Partnership between Edward Slaughter, Henry Stothert, John Stothert, John Stephens, Henry Gruning, and Robert Stephen Cuthbertson, of the Avonside Iron Works, in the city of Bristol, Locomotive Engine Manufacturers, Ironfounders, and Makers of Machinery, carrying on business under the firm of Slaughter, Gruning, and Company, as far as Robert Stephen Cuthbertson is concerned 
1861 The company was employing 680 men and 98 boys 
1864-6 Four engines for London Main Drainage (Deptford Station)
1864 With Edward Slaughter still in control, the company became the Avonside Engine Co. Mr. Slaughter retained the engineering and general management, taking the title of Managing Director, which post he held until 1873, when failing health induced him to abandon active work.
Sources of Information
- 1852-53 Slater's Directory of Berkshire, Cornwall, Devon, Gloucestershire etc.
- The Bristol Mercury, Saturday, March 3, 1860
- London Gazette 2 March 1860
- 1861 Census