Also known as Smardale Gill Viaduct.
It was built in 1861. Designed by the Cumbrian engineer Thomas Bouch as part of the South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway, which crossed the Pennines to carry coke to the iron and steel furnaces in the Barrow area and West Cumberland. The line was closed in 1962 after steelmaking finished.
Sources of Information
- Illustrated London News - Saturday 24 August 1861