Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,991 pages of information and 232,842 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Designed by John Rennie (the elder).
Crossed the Thames from Queen Street, Cannon Street, to Bridge Street, Southwark
The bridges consisted of three cast-iron arches, with two stone piers and abutments. The arches were flat segments of circles, the centre one being not less than 240 feet span, rising 24 feet, so that it was 6 feet above high-water at spring tide. The two side arches were of 210 feet span, each rising 18 feet 10 inches. The two piers were 24 feet wide each at the springing, and 30 feet at the base.
1813 Construction started; Samuel Walker and Co were contracted to supply iron castings
1815 the Southwark Bridge Co failed.
The first stone was laid by Admiral Lord Keith early in 1815
1819 The bridge was opened for traffic in March.
1914 The old bridge was demolished in preparation for construction of the new bridge. Sir William Arrol and Co. were contractors for the demolition and for building the replacement, which was designed by Messrs. Basil Mott and Hay, with Sir Ernest George as consulting architect.
1921 The new bridge, with 5 rather than 3 arches, was opened by the King and Queen