Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,747 pages of information and 232,260 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1834 Improvements including the Iron bridge. 'The improvement commences at Taddiford brook, near the Red Cow, and from thence to Howell lane, the rise will be one in seventeen; from Howell Lane to Montpellier one in sixteen; and from Montpellier to the Pack Horse, near the entrance of St. David's Church, one in eighteen - the hill at the extreme height, on this part of the line being sunk nearly eleven feet; from near Pound Lane to the premises lately occupied Mr. Salter, baker, a little distance from the Plume of Feathers, the fall will be one eighteen; from Salter's to the Barnstaple Inn, the iron bridge, on a light and elegant plan, six arches supported on granite pedestals, a complete level; from thence to the Crown and Sceptre, the rise will be less than one in eighteen. There will be seven arches of brick-work from the iron bridge, four at one end, and three at the other. The estimated cost of completing the work is £8,972 3s. 3d. including the sums already expended.'
1841 Ref to 'Turner's Garden', lodge entrance and approached from the New North Road. Building lots.
Old numbering (still used in 1926 but new sequence used by 1930). The old commenced with No 1 on the West side nearest the town and ended at No 39 before some un-numbered properties ended at Red Cow. It then returned from Red Cow with un-numbered properties and then No 43 (Pack Horse Inn) to No 68, and numbers were consecutive. The new numbering had odd numbers on the west side and even numbers on the east side. Both commenced from the Iron Bridge through to Red Cow and the railway station.
West Side (old numbering system in parenthesis)