Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,408 pages of information and 233,867 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
in King's Road, Camden, London.
1891 A new plant built at Stanhope Street, London, for the St Pancras Vestry; considered a model plant for its time; with 6 main dynamos to the design of Gisbert Kapp driven by triple expansion engines made by Willans and Robinson. Each main generator could deliver 680A at 112-130V. In addition there were two dynamos giving 90A at 540-575V for arc lighting and battery charging.
Steam pressure was 170 psi from single-drum Babcock and Wilcox boilers, served by a 90 ft brick chimney, with a 50 ft long pipe attached to the outside for exhaust when engines were running non-condensing. Normally the steam was condensed by jet condensers, whose water supply came from an underground 170,000 gallon tank. The heated water was pumped to the top of a cooler, whence it descended over a zigzag arrangement of corrugated iron sheets to be be cooled by air flow.
1893 Three more units added at Stanhope Street.
1896 A new combined power station and refuse destructor opened at King's Road. There were two Belliss and Morcom 200 HP 350 rpm engines. Each drove two 65 kW Crompton and Co dynamos. The condenser cooling water arrangements were similar to those at Stanhope Street, but with a smaller underground tank (120,000 gallons).
The eastern boundary was on King's Road, and the northern frontage was on Georgiana Street, under which was a subway connecting to the Bangor Wharf on the Regent's Canal. The 207 ft 6" high chimney was constructed by Kelly Bros of Liverpool. Goddard, Massey and Warner supplied the destructor plant. The furnaces were equipped with Healey mechanical stoking fire bars powered by a 24 IHP Chandler (Bumsted and Chandler?) 'silent' engine. Forced draught was provided by Sturtevant blowers powered by small Goddard, Massey and Warner vertical engines.
1914 1000kW Brush-Ljungstrom turbo-generator set installed at the King's Road works.
1927 10,000kW Brush-Ljungstrom turbo-generator set installed.
1953 Oil firing equipment fitted to the four pulverised fuel fired boilers to boost the steam output at peak load periods and to improve combustion. Oil firing installation by Fuel Firing Ltd., Woodley, Reading.