Stanley William Porter (1870-1939)
1939 Obituary 
"STANLEY WILLIAM PORTER was born in 1870 and educated from 1884 to 1888 at the Independent College, Taunton. After a year spent in studying subjects connected with engineering, he took a year's course at University College, Bristol. He spent a short time in the Great Western Railway dockyard at Bristol, and from 1890 to 1894 he served as an apprentice in the shops and drawing office of Messrs. Spencer and Company, Ltd., Melksham. He was then made superintendent of the work carried on outside the firm, and in 1895 he was appointed manager of this company's branch at Hull. In 1899 he became the London manager for this firm, and in this capacity he was responsible for the installation of equipment in docks and granaries in various parts of the country. From 1916 to 1918 he visited Australia as consulting engineer in connection with the erection of grain silos, and in 1922 he was appointed managing director of the reconstituted firm of Spencer (Melksham), Ltd. He retired from this post in 1928, and he died at his home at Farleigh Castle, near Bath, on 9th November 1939. He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1897 and was transferred to Membership in 1914."