Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,950 pages of information and 233,606 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Stanton-by-Dale, Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Formerly known as Stanton Ironworks
1870 The Franco-Prussian War created a huge demand for iron; the works expanded rapidly with the construction of new furnaces and foundries (the New Works) alongside the Erewash Canal in the early 1870s.
1918 Selling Agents for Messrs. James Oakes and Co.
1920 April. Issued catalogue on cast iron signposts
1923 The company decided to put three further blast-furnaces into operation on March 1st. The company was then working twelve out of its seventeen furnaces.
1927 See Aberconway Chapter II for information on the company and its history. Mr. C. R. Crompton was Chairman and Mr. W. Benton Jones was among the Directors. It owned seventeen blast furnaces, with a consumption of 337,000 tons of coke per annum.
1938 Issue of debentures to pay for new coke oven plant.
Abstract from 'Basic Blast Furnaces' The Engineer 1917/11/02 p 392.
"It was established in 1855 with an office staff of four, and three small furnaces, a small foundry, iron fields at Stanton and in the neighbourhood parish of Dale Abbey, and the Ironstone Bell pits at Babbington. The partners were Messrs George and John Crompton - brothers and partners in the firm of bankers of Crompton and Evans - Mr Newton and Mr. Barber. At first the pig iron was made entirely from local ore, but in 1865 Northamptonshire ores were introduced into the company's mixtures, and a little later iron mines in Leceistershire and Northamptonshire were acquired and developed. In 1878 the pipe foundry, now probably the largest in Great Britain, if not in the world, was started under the management of Mr James Chambers, whose son Mr Frederick, is the present manager. Ten years prior to this date the company sunk its first colliery at Teversal, the Pleaseley Colliery followed in 1873, and The Silverhill in 1878. As indicating the progress of the firm it may be mentioned that in the twenty years immediately prior to 1914, the output of coal had increased by 94 per cent, the ironstone output by 38 per cent, the pig iron output by 29 per cent and the cast iron pipe output by 184 per cent. The company has now some 7000 people on its pay roll - 3000 at Stanton, the same number at the collieries and 1000 at the ironstone mines." November 2nd 1917.