Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,151 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Stretton Aqueduct is a short cast iron canal aqueduct between Stretton and Brewood, and near to Belvide Reservoir, in south Staffordshire, England.
Designed by Thomas Telford and bearing his name plus its date of construction, 1832, it carries the Shropshire Union Canal (formerly called the Birmingham and Liverpool Canal) 30 feet (9.1 m) over Telford's A5 road at a skewed angle.
The aqueduct has five sections, each 6 feet 6 inches (1.98 m) long, held together by bolts and supported by six cast iron arch ribs, each in two sections and joined at the centre of the arch. The castings were produced by William Hazledine of Shrewsbury. The trough is 21 feet (6.4 m) wide with an 11 feet (3.4 m) wide channel of water and a towpath on either side. The Staffordshire blue brick abutments have stone dressings.
Close scrutiny shows that some wording has been chiselled off the central panel castings (see photo). The missing text is 'William Hazeldine, Contractor', and was probably removed by supporters of the main contractors, John Wilson and his brother.
During 1961-62, the A5 road under the aqueduct was lowered by about 4 feet (1.2 m) to allow taller vehicles to pass underneath.
It was one of Telford's last aqueducts and has been grade II listed since 1985.
Fortunately, the Romans anticipated the need for adequate road width when they built Watling Street. Unfortunately, it is now a fast road, with no room for pavements, making it dangerous for pedestrians. Best approached along the canal towpath.