Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,110 pages of information and 233,634 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
WWI A National Shell Factory was established in the works at Landore. The factory was initially slow to begin production as machinery intended for Swansea was diverted to Llanelly and matters were further complicated by an incompetent manager which necessitated the reconstruction of the layout of machinery in October 1915. Additional facilities such as cloakrooms and tool rooms were constructed at government expense. The first output was in late 1915
By mid 1917, the factory was turning out 4,000 4.5-inch shells and 2,500 18 pound shells per week. The factory became so efficient that the costs of manufacturing the shells were the lowest of any of the National Shell Factories.
The Swansea Board of Management also supervised a group of smaller firms producing shells in the local area such as Taylors in Briton Ferry.