Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,159 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Swansea and Donington House, Norfolk Street, Strand, London
1878 The system opened with the Town Centre to St. Helens and Morriston routes.
1882 Service to Cwmbwrla opened. The latter was steam worked.
1900 From June 30th, the tramways (5.5 miles) have been worked by electric traction.  All three routes were electrified.
1905 Expansion to Brynmill, Sketty, Port Tennant and Brynhyfryd followed.
Swansea's trams were a varied selection of cars, many obtained secondhand from other systems, with low bridges in the docks area necessitating a fleet of single deckers. Double deck vehicles were used on services to the west of the town centre. The fleet size was fairly static, being maintained at around 80. Fleet livery was maroon and cream.
1937 The system closed on 29th June, replacement bus services being provided by SWT.