Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,717 pages of information and 232,164 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
T. W. Greenwell and Co, ship repairers, South Dock, Sunderland
1901 Incorporated as a private company, initially using public dry docks
1914 Listed as Marine Engineers. 
1925 A new dry dock of 500 ft was opened
1939 The company took a long lease on the No 1 dry dock from the River Wear Commissioners
1952 A new dock of 675 ft, taking the place of the old No 1 dry dock and capable of taking tankers of up to 32,000 dwt was opened. At the same time, the No 2 dry dock was extended to 565 ft
1954 Sunderland Shipbuilding, Dry Dock and Engineering Co was established, made up of the Thompson, Laing and Crown yards and the repairer T. W. Greenwell and Co.
1961 Ship repairers. 400 employees. 
1977 Became part of British Shipbuilders
1987 Company dissolved
Shipbuilding and Shipping Record July 30 1925, October 2 1952
J. W. Smith and T.S. Holden, Where Ships are Born (Sunderland, 1953)