Thames Land Co
1916 Company formed as a subsidiary company of Lord Cowdray's firm of S. Pearson and Son with the object of acquiring undeveloped properties at West Thurrock on the Essex side of the Thames between Purfleet and Tilbury, the intention being to establish a large industrial estate within easy reach of London.
1924 The company owned a freehold of some 3000 acres of land, stretching back from the river about 4 1/2 miles, and had deep-water frontage of 2 miles. The estate was 18 miles by road from London Bridge, and was traversed by three main roads to London, one of which is the Ministry of Transport's new 80ft. arterial road. In addition, it is intersected by the London and Tilbury branch of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway. The company had proposed to sell or lease the land for manufacturing or industrial purposes.
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1924/04/04