Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,151 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Thomas Samuel Weeks (1838-1895)
1896 Obituary 
THOMAS SAMUEL WEEKS was born on the 7th April, 1838, and was educated at Torquay. After being for some time in the office of Edward Appleton, of that town, he was employed by J. T. and W. Harvey to superintend several building contracts, including the stations of the Dartmouth and Torbay Railway. He also acted in a similar capacity on the construction, for the War Department, of the Scrasedon Fort near Plymouth.
In 1864 Mr. Weeks was appointed Assistant to the Surveyor of the Torquay Local Board, and in December, 1877, he became Water Superintendent, which post he held until his death. He was associated with the late William Froude in the then novel operation of scraping the inside of the supply main which had become incrusted with rust. At the suggestion of the late John George Appold, a piston, carrying knives to dislodge the rust, was propelled through the pipe by the pressure in the main, the rust being removed by the flow of water.
Mr. Weeks was also engaged on the construction of the Kennick impounding reservoir at the gathering ground of the Torquay waterworks, and he was mainly instrumental in bringing into use in the town the Deacon system of checking waste. Mr. Weeks died at Torquay on the 14th December, 1895, from dilatation of the heart. As an engineer he was painstaking and reliable, while in disposition he was retiring and thoughtful.
He was elected an Associate Member on the 6th March, 1883.