Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,405 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Thomas Scott King (1864-1911)
1911 Obituary 
THOMAS SCOTT KING was born at Gainsborough in 1864, and was educated at the Southolme School in the same town.
In the following year he spent six months in the drawing office of Messrs. Manlove, Alliott and Co., Nottingham, and then re-entered the works of Messrs. Marshall, Sons and Co., as foreman successively of the testing department and then the engineering department.
In 1890 he was engaged with Messrs. Robey and Co., Lincoln, first as leading draughtsman until 1892, and then as their London resident engineer during 1892-93.
In the latter year he was appointed manager of Messrs. Clench and Co.'s Works, Chesterfield, which position he held until 1897, when he became engineer at Messrs. Davey, Paxman and Co.'s Works at Colchester.
This position he held until 1904, when he started in business on his own account in Cardiff, and devoted himself to the development of his numerous inventions. Among these may be mentioned: a two-course expanding-flow superheater; pneumatic hammers; a pattern- making machine; apparatus for improved boiler-feed, etc.
His death took place at Penarth on 20th March 1911, in his forty-seventh year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1895.