Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,344 pages of information and 230,027 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Thomas William Jeffcock

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Thomas William Jeffcock ( -1909), Mining engineer in the Sheffield coal industry.

Shire House, Ecclesfield.

1840 Born in Wortley[1]

His father, Thomas Dunn Jeffcock, was one of four brothers, of whom the eldest, William Jeffcock of High Hazels, was the first Mayor of Sheffield. His grandfather was John Jeffcock, who was associated with William Jeffcock and others in opening a colliery at Dore House in the parish of Hansworth, to work the Barnsley seam. Mr. Dunn was appointed manager, and John Jeffcock became colliery engineer.

1851 Thomas D Jeffcock 45, mineral and land agent, lived in Brightside, Sheffield with Maria Jeffcock 46, Maria Louisa Jeffcock 12, Thomas William Jeffcock 11[2]

1861 Thomas William Jeffcock, Mining Engineer, 18 Bank Street, Sheffield.[3]

1866 His cousin, Parkin Jeffcock, lost his life whilst in charge of an exploring party at the Oaks Colliery, where 330 miners were killed.

He was a director of Charles Cammell and Co's Cyclops Works, Sheffield, the Sheepbridge Coal and Iron Co and the Aston Coal Co.

He joined the 1st West Yorks Yeomanry Cavalry at the age of twenty-one, and retired with the rank of major in 1882, having for many years commanded the Sheffield Squadron.

1900 Died aged 60.


The death occurred on the 3rd inst., at Shire House, Ecclesfield, of Mr. Thomas William Jeffcock, civil and mining engineer, Bank-street, Sheffield. Mr. Jeffcock had suffered from heart disease for many years. A month ago he went to his fishing lodge at Camisky, near Fort William, on the r River Lochy. He was unwell when he arrived there, and his doctor ordered him home. He never rallied. Mr. Jeffcock belonged to a family which had much to do with the making of Sheffield as a centre of the coal industry. His father, Thomas Dunn Jeffcock, was one of four brothers, of whom the eldest, William Jeffcock of High Hazels, was the first Mayor of Sheffield. His grandfather was John Jeffcock, who was associated with William Jeffcock and others in opening a colliery at Dore House in the parish of Hanswortb, to work the Barnsley seam. Mr. Dunn was appointed manager, and John Jeffcock became colliery engineer. Mr. T. W. Jeffcock continued the business traditions of his fathers, and became a mining engineer of repute and practice. It was his cousin, Mr. Parkin Jeffcock, who lost his life in 1866 whilst in charge of an exploring party at tho Oaks Colliery, where 330 miners were killed. Mr. Jeffcock was a director of Charles Cammell and Co.'s Cyclops Works, Sheffield, the Sheepbridge Coal nnd Iron Company, and the Aston Coal Company. For twenty-one years Mr. Jeffcock was connected with the 1st West Yorks Yeomanry Cavalry. He joined at the age of twenty-one, and retired with the rank of major in 1882, having for many years commanded the Sheffield Squadron. Three or four years ago he was appointed a deputy-lieutenant of the West Riding, and as far back as 1881 he became a justice of the peace. Mr. Jeffcock, who was sixty years of age, married some six or eight years ago, tho widow o£ the late Mr. Frederick Vickers. He leaves no family.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information