Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Part of Southampton Docks
c. 1894 The Prince of Wales Dock was constructed
1904 The Trafalgar Graving Dock was completed
1910 Work to enlarge the Trafalgar Graving Dock began because the entrance was too narrow, being not much wider (2ft 6 in) than the Prince of Wales Dock. The widening of the Trafalgar was achieved by paring down the side walls and adding compensating material in the shape of counterforts to the back.
The original gates were replaced by a sliding caisson, which would make it possible to retain the water in the dock after the tide has begun to ebb.