Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,916 pages of information and 232,835 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Tannery, Exeter, Devon. Telephone: Exeter 2636. Cables: "Tannery, Exeter"
c.1830 Business founded
1875 Dissolution of the Partnership between Arthur Edward Tremlett and Alfred Wilson, both carrying on business at Commercial-road, in the city of Exeter, as Tanners and Fellmongers. The business would be carried on by Alfred Wilson and also Charles Henry Tremlett, whom Alfred Wilson has admitted into partnership with him.
1884 Dissolution of the Partnership between Alfred Wilson and Charles Henry Tremlett, lately carrying on business at the Commercial-road, in the county of the city of Exeter, as Tanners and Fellmongers, under the style or firm of Wilson and Tremlett
1895 Dissolution of the Partnership which has for some time past been carried on by Walter William Tremlett, Arthur Edward Tremlett and Charles Henry Tremlett under the firm of Tremlett Brothers at Exeter in the trade or business of Tanners. Arthur Edward Tremlett and Charles Henry Tremlett would carry on the business.
1920 AT an Extraordinary General Meeting of Tremlett Brothers Limited, it was decided to wind up the company in order to reconstruct it; Charles E Tremlett was chairman
1947 British Industries Fair Advert as Manufacturers of "Three Castles" Bends, Soles and Insole Leather for the Manufacture and Repair of Boots and Shoes; also for Dressing and Mechanical Purposes. (Leather Goods Section - Earls Court, 1st Floor, Stand No. 408b) 
1949 Major fire at the Exeter site but the effects were mitigated to an extent by moving work to another tannery
1968 After several years of poor profits, the company decided to dispose of its Exeter site and to diversify the business
1973 Acquired F. A. Standen from Hawtin. Sold the print and packaging interests to Jefferson Smurfit. Acquired Peerless Industrial Securities (previously Peerless Built-In Furniture). stock market quoted was suspended.
1975 Capital reconstruction was necessary because of the financial deficit arising from Tower acquisition. Sold 5 timber and materials companies to International Timber to reduce debt - these were George and Tudor, Waterman and Ross, Shepherd Brothers (Somerset), J. W. Jacob and Irvin and Sellers
1977 The holding company was acquired by a private company with Danish connections