Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 144,985 pages of information and 230,624 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Tube Investments (later known as TI Group), of Birmingham, was a British engineering company specialising in the manufacture and manipulation of tubing.
c.1920 The chairman, Arthur Chamberlain, told the first AGM that Phillips, a maker of bicycle parts, had been acquired since the amalgamation in 1919; Simplex was also a subsidiary, as was Tubes, maker of tubes for many uses and Admiralty boilers, Bromford, suppliers of hollow blooms to Tubes and Accles and Pollock as well as hot drawn weldless tubes .
1928 Ivan Stedeford joined company; elected CEO in 1935 and Chairman in 1944); in 1963 retired as Chairman and CEO and assumed title of Life President.
1930 Two large tube makers Stewarts and Lloyds and Tube Investments entered into an agreement to reduce duplication with cross-shareholding . Although this was to “facilitate exchange of information and technology” it resulted in Stewarts and Lloyds gaining a half interest in the Bromford Tube Co of Erdington, Birmingham and then acquiring the other half in 1945; and in Howell and Co Sheffield, this being given up in 1938.
1932 Recognising the scope for improvement in the management of the electrical subsidiaries, a new organisation was created responsible for the manufacture and sale of electrical products. Also formed new subsidiary company Pel to make steel furniture. New products had been sought in tubes but were limited to shafts for golf clubs.
Pre-WWII Tubes acquired the British arm of Crane Packing of USA
1941 Members of the Steel Tube Advisory Centre of Tube Investments were:
1948 Formed T. I. Aluminium to bring together the administrative, research and marketing activities of its aluminium subsidiaries, namely Reynolds Light Alloys, Reynolds Rolling Mills and South Wales Aluminium 
1948 The companies in the cycle division, taken together, formed the largest bicycle-producing unit in the world
1954 New rolling mills installed at Desford and Wednesfield
1956 The British Cycle Corporation subsidiary was formed to take over and control its bicycle making subsidiaries in the Birmingham area, namely Armstrong Cycles, Brampton Fittings, Hercules Cycle and Motor Co, Phillips Cycles, and Walton and Brown ; the activities would be concentrated in a large factory at Handsworth; large redundancies followed; Norman was also in the TI group but does not seem to have been included in the new Corporation. TI cycle brands at the time were Hercules, Phillips, Norman, Armstrong, Aberdale, James and Dunelt .
1960 Tube Investments acquired Raleigh Industries, bringing with it BSA Cycles and J. B. Brookes. The board of Raleigh enlarged with a director of TI and the MD of British Cycle Corporation would control all cycle, component and motorized activities of the TI group which soon announced it planned to concentrate cycle production in Nottingham.
1961 Employed 55,000 persons in the group. 
c.1964 Established joint venture with GE of USA on industrial electricals, especially motor control and switchgear.
1967 The steel-making subsidiaries (Park Gate Iron and Steel Co, Round Oak Steel Works) would be nationalised into British Steel but it was agreed that Tube Investments would share the management of the Round Oak Steel Works in order to enable TI to maintain its international position in tube making.
1967 TI (Group Services) was one of the larger steel companies not subject to nationalisation
1970 Thorn Electrical Industries sold Crypton Triangle to Tube Investments; this would form part of the Machine Tools Division with V. L. Churchill and Joseph Bradbury the largest group in Britain in vehicle service equipment. At the same time TI disposed of most of the rest of its interest in Churchill Tools and Services, distributors of small tools
1974 Allan J. S. Deacy was appointed assistant managing director of TI Chesterfield. He succeeded Michael Evans who was appointed a director of TI (Export).
1974 George Ashton was appointed managing director and chief executive of Tube Investments' newly constituted Machine Division.
1974 Mr J. D. Johnson, managing director of the Industrial Electrical Division of TI, was appointed a director of Tube Investments.
1981 TI acquired King Fifth Wheel, a private US company, maker of components for jet engines, a business already served in Europe by TI Reynolds. KFW's wholly-owned subsidiary Abar had a factory in North Carolina making high vacuume furnaces for heat treatment
1981 Having failed to diversify its business to reduce reliance on the UK, Tube Investments suffered more than other engineering companies from the downturn in the UK economy. The principal areas of business were: