Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,984 pages of information and 232,838 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Tulk and Ley of Lowca Works, Whitehaven was a locomotive manufacturer
1808 The firm became Millward and Co
1830 The firm became known as Tulk and Ley and began making locomotives with an order for the Maryport and Carlisle Railway.
Also known as Lowca Engine Works
1843 The first two locomotives were a 2-2-2 and an 0-6-0, with a further 2-2-2. They then built a number of 0-4-2 locos for various Northern railways.
From 1847 they built a number of engines to the Crampton pattern, the first three, Namur, Liege and another, being ordered by G. and J. Rennie for the Namur and Liege Railway. The order was undelivered because the railway was not ready. Namur was tested by the LNWR who were considering their purchase. In the end all three were sold to the South Eastern Railway.
Two more engines were sold to the Dundee and Perth and Aberdeen Railway Junction company and the Maryport and Carlisle Railway each, and two for the Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway.
The LNWR bought a, somewhat larger, engine in 1847, which was reported to have reached 72mph. The rough riding that was typical of Crampton locos, and difficulties with steaming, meant that they did not stay long in service, although they were more successful on the continent.
1857 Around twenty engines had been built. The company was taken over by Fletcher, Jennings and Co