Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,463 pages of information and 233,888 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Turbinia Deutsche Parsons Marine

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Turbinia, Deutsche Parsons-Marine-Aktien-Gesellschaft

Founded 17th September 1901 by a partnership of Brown Boveri and Co of Switzerland, Brown, Boveri & Cie. AG of Mannheim, and the Parsons Foreign Patent Co. Ltd., London. It was purely a selling and patent holding Company, with its activities restricted to Germany, Russia, and several other northern countries. Until 1914 BBC concentrated the design of marine turbines at Baden. In that year, for national reasons, Brown, Boveri & Cie. AG, Mannheim, set up an independent marine turbine office, but for other countries design and development were still carried out at Baden. After the submission of the first marine turbine projects to the German Admiralty in the summer of 1901 the construction of marine turbines was begun at the Baden Workshops in 1903 with the turbine plant for the German torpedo-boat "S 125", this being the first marine turbine plant to be built on the Continent. At practically the same time Brown, Boveri & Cie. AG, Mannheim, started work on a turbine plant for the light cruiser "Lübeck".

In 1914, at the outbreak of the First World War, a great part of the vessels in both the German and Russian Navies was equipped with Brown Boveri-Parsons marine turines having an aggregate rating of 1.7 million SHP, while at the conclusion of hostilities this figure had reached approximately 2.8 million SHP.

The above information is condensed from the Brown Boveri Review [1]

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. [1] The Brown Boveri Review, Vol XXIX, Sept/Oct 1942, No. 9/10