Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,518 pages of information and 233,949 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Turner Manufacturing Company of Wulfruna Works, Villiers Street, Wolverhampton
and of Fordhouses, Wolverhampton (1960)
See also -
c.1800 The earliest Turner business was established
Mid-19th century. The Thomas Turner Company started as an engineering business.
Manufactured a variety of automatic machines and workers' time recording devices
In 1902 the company started production of motor cars, acquiring the manufacturing rights of a well established vehicle, the Belgian Miesse steam car from the Brussels-based company of J. Miesse. James Burns Dumbell was in charge of this part of the business
The Turner-Miesse steam cars were initially produced at the company's works in Walsall Street. The car had a three cylinder, single acting engine (steam only admitted above the piston) with a paraffin-fired flash boiler.
1902 Private company registered as Turner's Motor Manufacturing Co. Ltd to acquire as a going concern the motor manufacturing company of Thomas Turner which manufactured velocipedes and steam cars.
1914 Directory lists them as Turner, T., and Co., Lever Street, Wolverhampton and as motor car manufacturers. 
WWI Car production ceased during the war and they concentrated on components and machine tools
1928 Ended car production
1934 Started to manufacture aircraft landing gear under the guidance of P. B. Dumbell the MD; as a result of WWII this product sold in such quantities that the works at Moorfield Road had to be enlarged. Seem to have also produced a marine diesel engine at this time.
1937 Pneumatic strips for undercarriages. "Turner" Compressed Air Landing Legs. "Turner" Pumps to Romec Patents. "Turner" Undercarriages. 
1937 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Turner Machine Tools, comprising: Roller Bearing Headstocks, Countershaft Drive or Direct Motor-Driven Capstan Lathes; Universal Tool and Cutter Grinders, Countershaft and Motor Drive; examples of Landing Legs for Aircraft. (Stand No. D.429) 
1938 Name changed to Turner Manufacturing Co
1939 See Aircraft Industry Suppliers
WWII Involved in aircraft engineering and manufactured military winches.
Post WWII: Aircraft activities were focussed on helicopter components and ground equipment. The company found it had excess capacity and so looked again at producing vehicles.
1948 A separate company was formed called Light Delivery Vehicles
There was also great interest in increasing agricultural production at the time so Turners started producing agricultural machinery. This resulted in the Yeoman of England tractor. The engine was designed in house by Freeman Sanders who also developed the Fowler diesel and Ferguson TEF20 engine. A range of accessories was also developed including ploughs, cultivators, harrows and mowers.
1950 The tractor was submitted for test by the NIAE in June 1950 whereupon several problems were found.
Even though the engine was re-designed in 1951, the tractor had gained a bad reputation.
1960 Licenced transmissions from Clark Equipment International of USA
1961 Engineers, manufacturing aircraft hydraulic components, winch gear and machined components for the automotive trade and hydraulic and pneumatic equipment. 800 employees. 
1966 Acquired Baetz Equipment Ltd which made pumps for oil storage and other metal fabrications.
1968 Acquired Earby Light Engineers Ltd, makers of components for airframes and engines, which expanded the company's aircraft sub-contract work which had previously been focussed on helicopters
1968 Public company incorporated to acquire the previous company