Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,913 pages of information and 232,835 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Company
1865 See 1865 Tyne Shipbuilders for detail of the tonnage produced
1871 H. A. B. Cole and R. F. Cole, two brothers took over the Willington Quay shipyard of William B. Hornsby in 1871. Hornsby had taken it over from the Marshall Brothers who in turn had taken it over from Thomas Anderson (of Newcastle) who had established the yard in 1852.
The Cole Brothers built six iron screw steamers up to 1876. The yard was managed by William J. Bone.
1876 The Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd was set up by William J. Bone. The main types of ships built were tramps, colliers and some tankers. The yard grew from an initial four acres to include all of the land east of the Clelands yard. It was one of the leading Tyneside yards. The yard built nine tankers for Hunting & Son of Newcastle
1901 J. Bourne formerly of Armstrong, Mitchell and Co took over from Bone as manager with G. F. Mulherion as General Manager. They remained in charge until the yard’s closure.
WWI Output during WW1 was 10 tramps, three naval patrol boats and two naval tankers.
1923 Two tankers were completed for Hunting & Son of Newcastle with Wellfield 5633/23 being the biggest ship ever built at the yard.
1926 The yard never recovered from the slump of the 1920s with no ships completed at all in 1926.
1927 The yard closed in January. It had completed just over 200 ships.
1928 The yard was sold to Armstrong Whitworth to complete a few more tramps.
1933 The yard was finally closed.
1935 The yard was sold to National Shipbuilders Security and dismantled in the same year.