Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,105 pages of information and 231,598 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Vickers-Armstrongs Ltd. of Vickers House, Westminster, London; of Elswick Works, Newcastle-on-Tyne.
1927 The company was formed by the merger of many of the assets of Vickers and Armstrong Whitworth; it was a public company with Vickers the major partner in the new company with two thirds of the shares; Armstrong Whitworth would receive one third of the shares.
The two companies had developed along similar lines, expanded into various military sectors and produced a whole suite of military products. Vickers' assets which would be sold to the new company included those at Sheffield, Barrow, Eskmeals, Erith, Dartford, Swanley and Eynsford. Armstrong's contribution was to be the assets at Elswick, Openshaw and the Naval and Walker shipyards . Some subsidiaries would be retained by the parent companies and operated independently.
1937 Aircraft constructors. 
WWII By the end of 1944 the company had built the King George V battleship and several aircraft carriers at Barrow and Walker. The company also supplied all of the primary armament and much of the fire control gear for all of the battleships and cruisers supplied to the Royal Navy throughout the war. Barrow was the largest maker of submarines supplemented by work done at Walker. The company also manufactured much anti-aircraft equipment. Many land and tracked vehicles were made by the company and the company's designs were also made by outside organisations. On the aviation side, the company developed the Wellington bomber, later used as a transport with the larger variant the Warwick. The Spitfire justly became famous and was produced in many variants. Also some novel, secret weapons developed under the direction of Mr Barnes Wallis. Also many other munitions.
1945 During the year the company made the transition from wartime work to peacetime:
1954 Private company.
1961 Parent of group of four subsidiaries engaged as aircraft manufacturers, engineers and ship builders. 34,022 group employees.
1961 Ordnance and engineering specialists and armament manufacturers. 19,300 employees. 
Vickers formed its Aviation Department in 1911.
SEE Vickers Aircraft for a list of Aircraft built.
1927 The Vickers aircraft building activity was retained by Vickers when the other armaments activities were merged into Vickers-Armstrongs.
1928 The Aviation Department of Vickers became Vickers (Aviation) Ltd and soon after acquired Supermarine Aviation Works, which became the Supermarine Aviation Works (Vickers) Ltd and was responsible for producing the revolutionary Spitfire fighter.
1939 Vickers' aircraft construction activities were transferred to Vickers-Armstrongs at government request. All Vickers-Armstrongs aviation interests were reorganised to become Vickers-Armstrongs (Aircraft) Ltd, although Supermarine continued to design, build and trade under its own name.
1939 See Aircraft Industry Suppliers
1957 The Viscount was in use with 14 airlines; BEA signed a contract for 20 Vanguards, a larger aircraft; the Valiant was the only 4-jet bomber in service with the RAF; deliveries of the Supermarine Swift continued to the RAF and the Scimitar would be made for the Royal Navy
1960 The aircraft interests were merged with those of Bristol, the English Electric Co and Hunting to form the British Aircraft Corporation (BAC). This was owned by Vickers, the English Electric Co and Bristol (holding 40%, 40% and 20% respectively). BAC in turn owned 70% of Hunting.
1963 The Supermarine operation was closed.
1965 The Vickers brand name for aircraft was dropped by BAC.
1999 The Vickers brand ceased to be used for aircraft engines when Rolls-Royce renamed its acquisitions Vintners plc.
Vickers-Armstrongs Ltd were shipbuilders from 1928-1968.
1928 Merger of companies in the steel industry announced, involving parts of Vickers, Vickers-Armstrongs and Cammell, Laird and Co. This would involve all of the steel interests of the 3 contributing groups, except for interests in guns, ammunition and tanks. A new company would be created to take over these interests: the English Steel Corporation Ltd. The constituent parts from Vickers-Armstrongs were:
1947 Acquired the manufacturing and selling rights in the UK and other countries of the high speed rotary newspaper printing machinery and other presses developed by Walter Scott and Inc., of USA; the presses will be made in Newcastle, and known as Scott-Vickers presses
1957 Vickers-Armstrongs (Engineers) Ltd was fully occupied including at Barrow Works where work on fitting out ships as well as machinery for various external customers concerned with cement, pumps, soap, ink; the Elswick and Scotswood works were fully employed; the Wakefield works had increased orders and the Southern Works at Crayford maintained output; the Dartford works increased output of office equipment by 13 percent
1977 After nationalisation of Vickers' aircraft interests, the profit potential of the remainder of the business was seen to be substantially reduced. The remainder of the business consisted of: heavy engineering (at Scotswood); printing machinery; bearings; bottling machinery; shipbuilding, Roneo Vickers office equipment.