Victoria Bridge, Montreal
The Great Victoria Bridge, a tubular bridge crossing the St. Lawrence River at Montreal
The bridge was built for the Grand Trunk Railway Company of Canada
In designing this bridge Stephenson completely abandoned the cellular system, not least because of that the practical impossibility of inspecting the cells.
1854 Construction started.
James Hodges was the contractor for the construction
John Wyman Woodford designed most of the machinery, engines, and plant for Hodges that was used in the construction of the great bridge.
1860 The formal opening was inaugurated by the Prince of Wales in the name of the Queen. Over the entrance of the parapet was chiselled the following inscription:
Built by JAMES HODGESfor Sir Samuel Morton Peto, Bart.
Thomas Brassey, and Edward Ladd Betts, Contractors.
On the stone lintels of the chief entrance above the roadway,
the following inscription appears:
Erected A.D. MDCCCLIX.
Robert Stephenson and Alexander M. Ross,
1897 The tubular superstructure was replaced by a double-track bridge.
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1860/03/09
-  Structurae