Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,518 pages of information and 233,949 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
W. H. Allen, Sons and Co of Queen's Engineering Works, Bedford.
1889 William took his son Richard into partnership.
1894 Queen's works constructed at Bedford; business moved there from Lambeth. Name changed to W. H. Allen Son and Company.
1894 Catalogue of Condensing plant. (W. H. Allen of Lambeth). 
1900 Incorporated as a limited company (W. H. Allen Son and Co Ltd). The company was registered on 29 July, to acquire a business of mechanical, hydraulic and electrical engineers. 
1900 Catalogue of two-crank enclosed compound engine. 
1904 Supplied steam-driven centrifugal pump for Kobe Floating Dock, Japan. . See photo.
1907 Agreement reached between Richard Allen and Percy Crowe and Herr Kraus of Gesellschaft fur Electrische Industri, Karlsruhe, for the manufacture under licence in Bedford of the Electra radial flow impulse turbine, in accordance with the designs of a Herr Kolb.
1908 Two sets of irrigation pumps supplied to Egypt consisting of compound steam engines and a turbine pump in one case and a Conqueror pump in the other.
1914 Mechanical, hydraulic and electrical engineers. Specialities: high-speed steam engines, centrifugal pumps and pumping engines for irrigation, drainage etc.; auxiliary machinery in connection with warships and the mercantile marine; independent condensing plants, turbine pumps, motors and dynamo electric machinery. Employees 1,000. 
1920 Name changed to W. H. Allen Sons and Co Ltd.
1920 Four-cylinder hot-bulb heavy oil engine. Illustration and description. 
1920 Showed three sizes of their surface ignition engines working on the two-stroke cycle and using heavy oil at the Darlington Agricultural Show. 
1921-1933 period of losses by the business.
1924 Appointed Messrs. R. Norman Button and Co., of Central Chambers, High-street, Sheffield, to represent them in that district for the sale of their heavy fuel oil engines. The Sheffield firm was associated with Messrs. Allen's Manchester office in this connection. 
Post-WWI: The company was awarded £7,500 by the Royal Commission on Awards to Inventors for a system of air supply for boiler rooms on ships
1937 Mechanical, hydraulic and electrical engineers.
1944 Producing five, six and eight cylinder diesel engines for the railways.
1944 Producing a range of engines for marine use with two to eight cylinders and 27 to 350 bhp.
Producing the T47 of three to eight cylinders
1956 Share issue to finance expansion at Bedford and new factory at Pershore.
1957 Substantial new business in pumps for nuclear power stations and generators for nuclear submarines, in addition to existing business for shipbuilding and industrial plant, including steam turbines, gas turbines, epicyclic gears, a.c. machines.
1961 Mechanical, electrical and hydraulic engineers handling power plants including diesel engines, steam turbines, steam engines and condensing-feed systems, pumping plant, electrical equipment including generators and switchgear, gearing and marine electrical generating plant, pumping plant, electrical equipment, air supply to boiler rooms and gearing. 2,500 employees. 
1961 Company now organised around 5 product groups: Turbines, Pumps, Diesel, Electrical, and Gearing, each of which was self-contained.
1962 With Clarke, Chapman and Co, jointly purchased Nelson Engineering Company, makers of smaller electric motors which would be supplied to the 3 companies. Acquired most of the shares in J. P. Hall and Sons.
1963 Acquired licence to make and sell electrical machines using Brown, Boveri and Co designs. Reorganisation on divisional basis with turbine, diesel and electrical machinery in Bedford division, gearing in Pershore, hydraulics in Lincoln division. Gwynnes Pumps at Lincoln renamed Allen Gwynne Pumps, with staff transferred to Lincoln from Bedford and Hammersmith, and premises sold. Fall in demand for Hall's products so business amalgamated with Pershore.
1968 Supplied diesel alternator sets for the Winfrith power station
1968 Merger of W. H. Allen, Sons and Co and Belliss and Morcom; new holding company known as The Amalgamated Power Engineering Company Ltd (APE) would be owned 60:40 by Allen's and Belliss's shareholders.
1989 Became part of Rolls-Royce
2013 Allen Gears of Pershore bought by GE Oil & Gas, to integrate Allen Gears' Industrial Gear Business into Lufkin's Power Transmission Division.
2021 Allen Gears owned by Baker Hughes.